Friday 19 October 2012

Time to Start!

I recently had a birthday.  Like many people, it was a time of inner reflection for myself and I was thinking about what I had done with my life up to this point.  Not so much what have I accomplished or asking myself if I was a good person.  It had everything to do with waiting.  I've been waiting for some momentous "thing" to happen to me for years now.  I don't really know what this "thing" is but the closest I can come to describing it is some sort of sign or event that changes my life so unequivocally that there is no way to deny what's happened and follow a completely new life path.

So here I am on the same path as all the years before.  But one things has changed.  I've finally decided that screw the waiting.  It hasn't worked and it's time to just go ahead and do some"thing".  It doesn't really matter what but something that will at least make me feel like I'm going in the right direction.  Granted, starting another blog isn't a huge deal but the first step has to start somewhere.

The purpose of this blog is to share my experience of just diving in.  This blog is going to be much more of a personal blog.  I decided to keep this somewhat separate from my KweenBee and Me blog.  That one has more to do with my crafts, selling patterns and has more of what I feel comfortable with the general public knowing about me.  This blog has to do with me on a very personal and spiritual basis.

I would love to say that this is going to be a thrilling ride full of all sorts of life changing experiences and ground shaking epiphanies.  Who knows, maybe it will be.  But what I've come to realise is that personal growth isn't a lightening strike but more of a wave washing over you.  It can come in fast but it will always pull back before a wave rolls over you again.  You learn a lesson and you remember and change for a while.  Then you slowly forget until you remember the lesson or relearn it again.  Sometimes it takes a lot of waves.  By the time you're done you can barely catch your breath and you're soaked to the bone.  What I would like to do is share my waves with others.  I don't have control over the waves anymore than anyone else so I will share them as they come.

The biggest goal I would like to achieve with this blog is what most would call spiritual development.  I group it as the corner post to physical and emotional well-being so there will probably be a bit of that on here too.  I would love to get into some herbal and traditional healing at a later date.  But more on that later. 

The first portion that I would like to share is my idea of going beyond yourself to acknowledge what's around you and be grateful for it.  That's why I've come up with the idea of gratitude stones.  No, I can't take credit for the idea but I think it's fantastic.  More on that here:  gratitude stones.

I would like to take that a step further with two things:  I'm Grateful for...  and Acts of Kindness (given or received).  They are both on the right hand side and I would love for people to share what they are grateful for in their lives.  It could be something that just happened today or a long time ago.  It really doesn't matter.

The Acts of Kindness are postings about what nice thing you've done for some other living thing, person, plant, or animal.  They could also be what someone (or something) has done for you.  Sharing your good feelings and experiences can make someone else feel better, and is an act of kindness in itself!

The purpose of both of these areas is to demonstrate how interconnected we are with one another (kind acts) and to bring it into our awareness (gratitude).  It's very easy to think of ourselves as individuals and go no further than that.  I feel that especially in our technological age, it's easy to forget that the person on the other end of an email, text message or phone call, the person driving next to us or the person behind us in a line at the checkout counter is a person too.  A person who has all of his or her problems and worries just like you do.  This is the beginning of building compassion.  It's the start to feeling better about others and ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment